Message from Your Presenter Teresa Garland, MOT, OTR/L…
No one ever said that working with children with autism, ADHD, or sensory disorders is easy. Theo will only eat white foods, tends to be buried in his own world and melts when he is transitioned too quickly. Steven, in 6th grade, has ADHD, poor organization skills and an attitude that is hard to break through. But, how do we help a child break through the self-regulation issues that limit their achievements?
That was the question I posed to myself fifteen years ago. I set out to learn as much as I could about theories, techniques, and research that could help make the lives of these young people much more manageable and promising. I received certification in sensory integration therapy, and additional training in DIR (play therapy), ADHD interventions, oral motor therapy, auditory therapies, timing therapies, mindfulness, exercise therapies, sensory diets and more. I adapted techniques to make them usable in the clinic and at school, working close with my team to get things right.
In this recording I will guide you through a broad set of self-regulation interventions culled from my years of research and practice along with strategies for adapting them to your setting. You will finish this program with the essential skills, interventions, and strategies to help children find harmony with themselves, their families, and the world around them!
You will learn:
- The most effective calming, sensory, motor or behavioral techniques for a given type of behavior
- Peer-to-peer video feedback as a social intervention for children and teens with ASD
- Sleep interventions for children with erratic sleep schedules
- Interventions for Repetitive and Restrictive Behaviors for a child with stereotypy
- Organization strategies for home and school for teenagers with ADHD
- And more!
I hope you look forward to bringing these interventions back to your practice or classroom!
Teresa Garland, MOT, OTR/L